O-M-GEEEE this soup is good! Like, I could eat it for breakfast, lunch, and dinner good. (Maybe not breakfast because that’s kind of weird, but you get the idea.)
You should believe me when I say it’s good because remember that several-month-long hiatus I took from blogging? My last post in the beginning of December was these iced molasses cookies, and I finally started posting again at the end of February with this salmon recipe. Anyway, during that stretch, I was still cooking a little but definitely not photographing or writing.
However, I made an exception for this soup. It was soooo delicious that I knew I had to photograph it for you guys, even though I wasn’t blogging at the time. I almost didn’t post it though because I thought we were finally over “soup weather” here in the sunny South. Yet, the weather threw us another curveball and we’ve gotten cold again, with snow in the forecast. I’m pretty sure spring is never actually going to come. Mr. Groundhog must have seen 5 shadows this year.
All this cold weather calls for a hearty pot of soup.
And you’ve come to the right place for that! This soup is so creamy and delicious, and packed full of flavor. When I look for a chicken tortilla soup, I’m usually looking for something thin, lime-y, and a bit spicy, but this soup is on the other end of the tortilla soup spectrum.
It’s thick and creamy, and definitely qualifies as comfort food for this cold spring weather. This soup is going to be on my slow-cooker rotation all winter next year!
Notes about this recipe:
1. If you notice, this recipe calls for a can of cream of chicken soup. I do not use cream of ___ soups, since I generally try to avoid the more processed foods. However, it’s super easy to make your own cream of chicken soup. If I hadn’t been in my lazy stage when I made this soup, I would have written up a cream of chicken soup recipe for you. However…I used the cream of chicken soup from this recipe and really liked it. This one is also similar, and I’ve also tried this one.
- ½ pound boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 1 cup reduced-sodium chicken broth
- ½ cup salsa
- 1 can (14.5 ounces) diced tomatoes
- 1 teaspoon fresh lime juice
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1 can homemade cream of chicken soup**
- ½ cup chopped bell peppers
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 cup frozen corn
- 1 can black beans, rinsed and drained
- salt and pepper to taste
- sour cream, for topping
- cilantro, for topping
- Place all ingredients in slow cooker. (I have a 5 quart) Cover and set on low for 6-8 hours or high for 3-4 hours.
- After cooking, remove chicken and shred. Return to slow cooker and season soup with salt and pepper to taste. Serve and enjoy!
- **See note above recipe to make your own cream of chicken soup.